What to Do When Injured

Tell the employer or supervisor about the injury as soon as possible. Failure to notify the employer, in writing, within 30 days after the accident date can result in denial of benefits. In case of occupational disease, the claimant must give notice to the employer within two years of the disablement, or within two years after the claimant knew or should have known that the disease was work-related.

Obtain necessary medical treatment as soon as possible. An injured worker may choose any physician or medical provider authorized by the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) to provide medical care. Additionally:

  • An injured worker should not pay a fee directly to the doctor or medical provider.
  • If  the claim is disputed by NYSIF or the employer, the medical provider may require the patient to sign a form guaranteeing payment for a disallowed claim.
  • Follow doctor’s instructions to speed recovery.
  • Follow up with your employer by providing specifics as to when you will be able to return to work. Notify your employer of any changes in your ability to work, or work status, as a result of the injury.
  • When contacted by NYSIF, provide details pertaining to your injury, treatment and prognosis. This will speed up our ability to process payments on your claim.
  • Attend independent medical examinations (IME) when requested.
  • Attend hearings when notified to appear.