Policyholder's Responsibilities

It is the policyholder’s responsibility to notify NYSIF promptly of:

  • Any change in the nature of the work performed by your employees;
  • Any change in staffing and payroll;
  • Any additional or new entities;
  • Any change in business structure (i.e. incorporation);
  • Any new FEIN (Federal Employers Identification Number).

If an injury occurs, the policyholder must:

  • Notify NYSIF as soon as you have notice or knowledge of a workplace injury.
  • Provide immediate medical services prescribed by Workers’ Compensation Law.
  • Provide information about injured workers, witnesses and other information NYSIF may request.
  • Provide all notices, demands and legal papers, and cooperate with NYSIF in the investigation, settlement, or defense of any claim, proceeding or suit.
  • Make no payments, assume no obligations or incur no expenses, except at your own cost.

Regarding billing, premium, payroll audit and workplace safety:

  • Pay all premium payments when due.
  • Keep adequate records needed to compute premium.
  • Allow NYSIF to examine and audit all records relating to your policy including ledgers, journals, registers, vouchers, contracts, tax reports, payroll and disbursement records, and programs for storing and retrieving data.
  • Allow NYSIF access to all workplaces for the purpose of risk assessment.
  • Maintain a safe work environment.

Regarding policy cancellation and requirement to secure coverage:

  • Provide NYSIF written notice specifying the proposed date of cancellation. (Cancellation will not take effect until 30 days after the date of notification to NYSIF and 10 days after notice is filed with the Workers’ Compensation Board.)
  • Secure benefits for your employees in another manner that complies with the Workers’ Compensation Law.
  • Post a Notice of Compliance, C-105, in all business locations. Policyholders who have no established business locations, or are in the moving business, are required to post a C-105.1 in vehicles they own or operate. You can find a Notice of Compliance in your policy and renewal information packages or obtain a copy of the C-105 online.