Estimated audits occur due to missed audit appointments or late filing of audit reports, and can result in a larger premium debit balance than that of an actual audit. A subsequent, actual audit may generate a smaller debit balance or, possibly, a credit balance.
To avoid an estimated audit:
- Take the audit and audit appointment seriously - don’t ignore scheduled appointment notices.
- Make every attempt to keep your audit appointment. Use our Premium Audit Scheduling System (PASS) to schedule or reschedule your appointment.
- File audit reports on time.
- Notify NYSIF immediately of material changes to your operations, including:
- changes in ownership
- covered locations and entities
- payroll (including new hires)
- the size and nature of the operations
These changes may greatly influence your audit billing. See Amending a Policy.