Thank you for visiting The New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) website. This site is designed to make it easier and more efficient for New York State citizens and businesses to interact with NYSIF and to learn about New York workers’ compensation and employers’ liability insurance, disability benefits insurance, volunteer firefighters’ benefits insurance and volunteer ambulance workers’ benefits insurance. NYSIF recognizes that it is critical for individuals and businesses to be confident that their privacy is protected when they visit NYSIF’s website.
For purposes of this policy, "personal information" means any information about a natural person, as opposed to a corporate entity, which, because of name, number, symbol, mark, or other identifier, can be used to identify that natural person. NYSIF only collects personal information about you when you provide that information voluntarily by sending an e-mail or initiating an online transaction, such as an eQuote or claims application.
Personal Information That May Be Collected
NYSIF does not automatically collect any personal information about you when you visit this website. The following examples are some of the types of personal information that may be collected by NYSIF about you when you engage in “active information collection processes” like initiating an online transaction or sending NYSIF an email containing the information: full name; date of birth; Social Security Number; gender; information about your family; driver’s license number or identification card number; address; email; telephone number; information about any injuries or disabilities; financial information; and employer or employment history.
During your visit to this website, you may initiate a transaction such as requesting a premium price quote, requesting information about benefits, or filing a claim. The information, including personal information, volunteered by you in initiating the transaction is used by NYSIF to operate NYSIF programs, which include the provision of goods, services and information. The information collected by NYSIF may be disclosed by NYSIF for those purposes that may reasonably be ascertained from the nature and terms of the transaction in connection with which the information was submitted.
During your visit to this website, you may send an e-mail to NYSIF. Your e-mail address and the contents of your e-mail will be collected. The information collected is not limited to text characters and may include audio, video and graphic information formats you send us, as well as any attachments. Your e-mail address and the information contained in your e-mail will be used to respond to you, to address issues you identify, to further improve this website, or to forward your e-mail to another agency for appropriate action. Your e-mail address is not collected for commercial marketing purposes and NYSIF will not sell or distribute your e-mail address for commercial marketing purposes.
NYSIF does not knowingly collect personal information from children or create profiles of children through this website. Users are cautioned, however, that the collection of personal information provided by any individual in an e-mail or through an online transaction will be treated the same as information given by an adult, and may, if not exempted from access by federal or state law, be subject to public access under the Freedom of Information Law or other provisions as more fully set forth below. NYSIF strongly encourages parents and teachers to be involved in children’s Internet activities and to provide guidance whenever children are asked to provide personal information.
Information and Choice
As noted above, NYSIF does not collect any personal information about you during your visit to this website unless you provide that information voluntarily by sending an e-mail or initiating an online transaction. You may choose not to send us e-mail, enter into an online transaction or otherwise communicate with us via this website. When you encounter a screen in this site that asks for, or are composing an email containing, information that you do not want us to have or use through online means, you should not proceed further with that screen or email. While your choice not to participate in these activities may limit your ability to receive products and services that are offered exclusively through this website, it will not prevent you from requesting insurance policies or information about such policies from NYSIF through other means. In addition, choosing not to participate in these activities will not normally have an impact on your ability to take advantage of other features of the website, including browsing or downloading most publicly available information.
Information that is voluntarily provided to us may be occasionally used to contact users regarding the purpose for which the information was provided. In addition, we will from time to time use this information to contact users about different NYSIF products and services. Although the information will also be used for statistical analysis and NYSIF marketing purposes, the information is not collected for commercial marketing purposes and NYSIF does not sell or distribute the information collected from the website for commercial marketing purposes.
Confidentiality and Integrity of Personal Information Collected Through This Website
NYSIF is strongly committed to protecting personal information collected through this website against unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. NYSIF limits access to personally identifiable information obtained to only those employees and authorized subcontractors who need access to perform a specific job in connection with their official duties. Employees and subcontractors who have access to this information are required to follow appropriate procedures in connection with any disclosures of personal information.
In addition, NYSIF has implemented procedures to safeguard its information technology assets including, but not limited to, authentication, monitoring, auditing and encryption. These security procedures have been integrated into the design, implementation and day-to-day operation of this website as part of our continuing commitment to the security of electronic content as well as the electronic transmission of information.
For website security purposes and to maintain the availability of the online transaction process NYSIF employs software to monitor traffic and to identify unauthorized attempts to upload, download, change, access or otherwise damage this website.
Although NYSIF endeavors to protect your personal information, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed one hundred percent secure, and NYSIF does not warrant as fail proof the security of information provided through this website.
Information Collected Automatically When You Visit This Website
None of the information collected automatically when you visit NYSIF's website is deemed to constitute personal information. When visiting this website, NYSIF automatically collects and stores the following examples of information about your visit:
- The Internet protocol address of your Internet service provider; The Internet protocol address is a numerical identifier assigned either to your Internet service provider, or directly to your electronic device, which can be used to direct Internet traffic to you.
- The type of browser and operating system you used;
- The date and time you visited this site;
- The web pages or services you accessed at this site; and
- The URL or website address of the website you visited prior to coming to this website;
- If you downloaded a file, the file that was downloaded;
- Any server error messages you may receive while using our website.
All of the foregoing information is collected using passive information collection processes such as cookies.
The information that is collected automatically is used to improve this website's contents and to help NYSIF understand how people are using this website. The information is collected for statistical analysis, to determine what information is of most and of least interest to our visitors, and to identify system performance, security or problem areas. The information is not collected for commercial marketing purposes and NYSIF is not authorized to sell or otherwise disclose the information collected from the website for commercial marketing purposes.
Disclosure of Information Collected Through This Website
The collection of information, including personal information, through this website and the disclosure of that information are subject to the provisions of the Internet Security and Privacy Act, as well as the Freedom of Information Law, Personal Privacy Protection Law, and the Workers’ Compensation Law. Except as provided below, or as otherwise provided by law, NYSIF will only collect personal information through this website or disclose personal information collected through this website if the user has consented to the collection or disclosure of such personal information. The voluntary disclosure of personal information to NYSIF by the user, whether solicited or unsolicited, constitutes consent to the collection and disclosure of the information by NYSIF regarding purposes for which the user disclosed the information to NYSIF, as was reasonably ascertained from the nature and terms of the disclosure. However, NYSIF may collect or disclose personal information without user consent if the collection or disclosure is:
- Necessary to pursue the statutory purpose of NYSIF, or necessary for NYSIF to operate a program authorized by law, or authorized by state or federal statute, or regulation;
- Pursuant to law, such as by subpoena, or court order;
- For the purpose of validating the identity of the user;
- For transmittal to other New York State agencies, including the Workers’ Compensation Board, state authorities, public benefit corporations and entities as provided for by law;
- For use by our authorized subcontractors, but only in the course of their authorized activities on behalf of NYSIF;
- For statistical purposes that is in a form that cannot be used to identify any particular person.
NYSIF may disclose personal information to federal or state law enforcement authorities to enforce NYSIF’s rights against unauthorized access or attempted unauthorized access to NYSIF’s information technology assets or against other inappropriate use of this website.
Retention of Information
Access to and Correction of Information Collected Through This Website
Any user may submit a request to the NYSIF Privacy Compliance Officer to determine whether personal information pertaining to that user has been collected through this website. In addition, any requests for records under the Personal Privacy Protection Law may be submitted to the NYSIF Privacy Compliance Officer. More information on the Personal Privacy Protection Law can be found at the Department of State Committee on Open Government. Any such request(s) shall be made in writing to the address below and must be accompanied by reasonable proof of identity of the user. Reasonable proof of identity may include verification of a signature, inclusion of an identifier generally known only to the user, or similar appropriate identification. The address of the Privacy Compliance Officer is:15 Computer Drive West
Albany, NY 12205-1690
fax: (518) 437-4280
The Privacy Compliance Officer shall, within five (5) business days of the date of the receipt of a proper request: (i) provide access to the personal information; (ii) deny access in writing, explaining the reasons therefore; or (iii) acknowledge the receipt of the request in writing, stating the approximate date when the request will be granted or denied, which date shall not be more than thirty (30) days from the date of the acknowledgment.
In the event that NYSIF has collected personal information pertaining to a user through the website and that information is to be provided to the user pursuant to the user's request, the Privacy Compliance Officer shall inform the user of his or her right to request that the personal information be amended or corrected under the procedures set forth in section 95 of the Public Officers Law (the Personal Privacy Protection Law).
Opting Out of Communications with NYSIF
If you provide your e-mail address, telephone number, mailing address or other contact information to us and decide that you do not want to receive e-mail or other correspondence or communications from us in the future, let us know by contacting the Privacy Compliance Officer in writing and telling us that you do not want to be contacted by NYSIF. See "contact information" section for e-mail address, fax number and mailing address. For information on deleting or refusing to accept cookies, see the relevant section above.
- Disclaimer of Legal and Business Advice
- The information contained in this policy should not be construed in any way as giving business, legal, or other advice. Nor should it be considered as advice on the content of information submitted by you.
- Disclaimer of Fail-Proof Information Security
- While NYSIF endeavors to protect your personal information, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed one hundred percent secure, and NYSIF recognizes the possibility of human and/or mechanical error. Therefore, the information contained in this policy should not be construed in any way as warranting, as fail proof, the security of information provided through this website.
- Disclaimer of Express or Implied Warranties
- The materials and information contained in this web site are provided “as is” and without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. NYSIF assumes no liability of any kind, whether in contract, tort, strict liability or any other type of liability, for damages of any kind incurred as a result of the use of this website. NYSIF specifically denies any expressed or implied warranty in regard to any information supplied or obtained through, or as a result of use of this website.
- Information Disclaimer
- This website may provide you with information or means of obtaining information about workers’ compensation and disability benefits insurance or volunteer firefighters’ benefits and volunteer ambulance workers’ benefits insurance; or NYSIF may respond to your electronically communicated request for information. While all attempts are made to provide accurate, current and reliable information, NYSIF recognizes the possibility of human and/or mechanical error. Therefore, NYSIF, its employees, officers and agents make no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, currency, or suitability of the information so provided.
- Links Disclaimer
- In order to provide visitors with certain services, this website may redirect you to another website to go to another website that NYSIF has contracted with to provide a service, after you click the appropriate link. Your destination website’s privacy, accessibility, copyright and security policies, if any, may differ from ours. NYSIF does not possess or exercise any control or endorse the content, opinions, accuracy, policies, products, or services of that website. External website owners are solely responsible for the content and performance of their websites and should be contacted directly with any questions.
For questions regarding maintenance of information and/or opting out of mailing lists, or to correct inaccuracies in information collected through the NYSIF website, please contact the Privacy Compliance Officer at:15 Computer Drive West
Albany, NY 12205-1690
fax: (518) 437-4280
© 2016 New York State Insurance Fund. All rights reserved. Last Updated: September 1, 2016